Our detailed lifeguarding training includes both testing of hands-on skills as well as comprehension on written tests. The certification is valid for two years upon completion and is accepted nationwide. It includes training for First Aid, CPR and AED.
- American Red Cross lifeguarding, lifeguarding review and water safety students must be at least 15 years old by the last day of class.
- Students must also pass a pre-course swimming skills test prior to taking our courses:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Once students are enrolled, they’ll receive the latest science-based training from experienced instructors. They will develop skills they’ll use for a lifetime.
Courses are available using the Red Cross blended Simulation Learning experience, which combines online coursework with in-person skills sessions. In addition to full courses, abbreviated recertification courses are available for those who hold current lifeguarding certifications.
Red Cross Lifeguarding Course Fees:
Class Cost: $200
Red Cross Fee: $40
Includes: Class, Online Learning Materials, CPR pocket mask
Red Cross Lifeguarding Review Course Fees:
Class Cost: $100
Red Cross Fee: $40
Includes: Class, Online Learning Materials
*if you need to schedule a Red Cross lifeguarding or lifeguarding review course but do not see a class on the calendar or can’t find one that fits your schedule, call us at 770-992-3772 to set one up!